mirror mirror on the wall

A reflection on self in the pursuit of Academia.. email millay_@hotmail.com

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Theme Week 2:

I just moved the desk in my house to over by the window so that I can look out while I work on homework. It wasn’t a big move but it’s completely changed my perspective. The other day while writing a prompt response I watched two squirrels scurry around the tree outside my window. They were fighting over some tidbit of something that they were both determined to have. The first squirrel got a hold of it and took it straight up the tree with the second one following close behind. They then disappeared from my view.

I just moved the desk in my house to over by the window so that I can look out while I write. It was a big move and it’s completely changed my perspective. The other night while writing a prompt response I watched two squirrels scurry around the tree outside my window. They were fighting over some tidbit of something no doubt tasty that they were both determined to win. The first squirrel got a hold of it and ran straight up the tree and onto a branch. The other was not far behind. They fought on that limb for several minutes and then disappeared in a screech of violence. I was left with an empty window and no response for my prompt.

I just moved the desk in my house to a wall over by the window. When I want to avoid writing I can look out the window by pulling my chair back and moving the plant. It was a monumental move for me. My desk is one of those huge oak writing desks that must have adorned some accountant’s office back in the 70’s. The other night while avoiding the writing assignment I watched out the window trying to find something more interesting than the task set before me. Two squirrels were fighting over a piece of someone’s garbage no doubt disgusting and germ ridden. The first squirrel wrestled it from the other and tore across the yard trying to win his trophy by virtue of distance. The other was behind him screaming and screeching. They fought ruthlessly for 5 minutes each winning by small measure then losing by great default. I ran from window to window hootin and hollerin right along with them screaming from the very core of my primordial self, “Give that to me! Give that to me!” In a heightened state of awareness, sweat beading on my massive forehead I returned to my writing prompt and from the soul wrote a response that made the instructor’s knees buckle. I was given the Nobel Prize for literature and my praises are still sung throughout various regions of the woodland elite.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LG LRM-519 Digital Media Recorder
The LG Digial Media Recorder is one pretty slick device, but its basically a Media Center wanabee.
Hey, you have a great blog
I have a free targeted traffic site.
It pretty much covers how to get some free targeted traffic .
If you have a few minutes come and check it out

Sun Sep 11, 10:48:00 PM EDT  
Blogger johngoldfine said...

Number three has me smiling out loud, which is not that easy a reaction to raise. Funniest thing is that, although the fictional quotient is very high, it's got to express some AC truths too--confess! That double Nobel in Chemistry/Literature? That hootin' primordial self? A secret desire for a massive oak writing desk?

Mon Sep 12, 05:21:00 AM EDT  
Blogger millay said...

Alright, alright you caught me. Truth of the matter is that I haven't won the nobel prize yet but that yet makes it a possible truth. That hootin primordial self is definitely a part of me though not on that particular night. And the oak desk is real. My puter sits on it as we "speak".

Mon Sep 12, 05:54:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home