mirror mirror on the wall

A reflection on self in the pursuit of Academia.. email millay_@hotmail.com

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Theme Week 1: And as the sun sets....

So I'm thinking that this will be my last journal entry on here. Oh, I debated about going on with it but I think I will return these thoughts to my journal which is feeling a little betrayed these days. See it over there? "Why do you have time and notion for those keys and not for me? What do you think your grandchildren will think of the BLOG you leave for them to find in the attic? Not very romantic, Amy". So I'm going to try and return to my ramblings in written form. (Don't tell the journal but this was actually a little easier on the hands. Though it missed the pictures that are so often included in the handwritten text.)

The weekend has settled into a nice rhythmic quiet. All the chickens are home and in their roost. The smells of Sunday supper still hang in the air and soon the sounds of Star Trek Voyager will replace the Noggin ones that bounce around now. I love the sounds of Sunday though frankly it's always been my least favorite day. Sunday evenings were brutal. Always felt so alone no matter what I was doing. It was like I was missing something really important. Not these Sundays recently. My life is so full and filling. An hours quiet here and there is a blessing. I relish it.

I can't tell you the relief that I feel in making the decision to drop ENG101. My belly was in knots, I spent more night than not up until 2 or 3 trying to make certain that I stay just enough ahead that falling behind is the difficult task. I know that I dropped it because it was the course that would require the most structure from me. There's a little guilt in that. Kind of like proposal writing. I know I need it and I will take it. Just not this semester. I'm going to let myself ease into this just a bit. I'm looking at years of this. Best not to get burned out in the first week.

I can tell that this is my last entry and probably a good thing. I don't want my writing here to become used and tired. Best to let it go and write nothing than to write what is forced and unbelievable.

Thanks for the exercise. Thanks for the vent. Next time you want a peek into my journal you'll have to take a listen to the final cut of pink and follow that map. Ahh again the dance..............

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Big Fall Preview: TV Guide in 60 seconds
Their pick for the Best New Comedy: Everybody Hates Chris. Best New Drama: Invasion.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a internet biz site/blog. It pretty much covers internet biz related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Sun Sep 11, 05:49:00 PM EDT  
Blogger johngoldfine said...

I know that with your practiced touch writing a journal seems a no-brainer, too easy to count as 'work.' It ain't that easy!

Problems from terminal cutesyness to obscurity to using the page as a punching bag to 'creative' spelling, punctuation, grammar ('I have to be who I am....') and so on make journals much harder than you might imagine. Anyway, they're a good starting point for the course. Second assignment used to be something I called 'unpacking the journal'--focusing on what might be hidden at first glance--but that was pretty much overkill, a failure, and a thoroughly-loathed assignment, so it's gone now.

We'll get to the proposal writing next week. Or at least to something that might stretch you.

Sun Sep 11, 06:21:00 PM EDT  
Blogger johngoldfine said...

And, oh yeah, the whole content of the last entry--an extended meditation on the keeping of a journal--with its teensy bit of suspense (is this the end of Amy's online journal?) works very gracefully.

Sun Sep 11, 07:04:00 PM EDT  
Blogger millay said...

Writing the journal was less the exercise for me as sharing it. My writing has always been a personal thing. Only bits and pieces ever see the light of day. That journal is where the practiced touch was given birth.

That last prompt..."What would you like to be paid to talk about?" I'm going to have to sleep on that I think. I thought that one would be the "easy" one. Nearly anything is good to talk about if you're getting paid for it. But I'm not so sure I agree with that anymore. I'm going to think on that and the Big Nanie piece. I have research a little and figure out what the terms mean and then decide. Something cleaner could definitely come out of that and it's worth exploring. I love that picture. I'll think on that as well.

Sun Sep 11, 10:02:00 PM EDT  
Blogger johngoldfine said...

Students are only on the hook for 3/4 prompts, so, if the spirit never moves you, you can skip the what would you like to get paid to talk about since it would make your number four, right? My wife was wowed by that homeless lady piece, when I read it to her.

Sun Sep 11, 10:20:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home