mirror mirror on the wall

A reflection on self in the pursuit of Academia.. email millay_@hotmail.com

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Theme Week 7 - Building A Bigger Bridge

To Do:

1) Dishes
2) Vacuum downstairs
3) Put laundry away
4) Bloom where you’re planted
5) Water plants
6) Chemistry Chapters 1, 2 and 3
7) Get off the fence
8) Ethics Chapter 5, Study for Quiz
9) Email GP and JM
10) Fall in love again
11) Clean out car
12) Scrub bath
13) Snap out of it
14) Organize junk drawer
15) Sweep off Porch
16) Giggle like a girl
17) Dust the furniture
18) Clean the baby’s room
19) Remember
20) Forget
21) Do 3rd prompt
22) Get winter coats from closet – to cleaners
23) Register van
24) Inspect van and dinger
25) Call JAFA
26) Feel feel feel feel
27) Rework budget
28) Call USDE
29) Package for Chris
30) Card to Peta
31) Redefine yourself
32) Get over it
33) Aska’s Birthday List
34) Call mom
35) Find a higher purpose
36) Dance more
37) Organize desk (computer upstairs?)
38) Grocery list (Go to Dougs)
39) Represent belief system
40) Unwind the clocks
41) Burn the walls
42) Build the bridges

4 Comments:

Blogger johngoldfine said...

I read the trash list first, then this. And I thought I was happy with the first list! It's the mix of cosmic and quotidian here that make this so very very slick, but I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

The minisequence of 40-43 is particularly inspired and provoking.

Tue Oct 18, 05:52:00 AM EDT  
Blogger johngoldfine said...

The very best part of writing for me is when I surprise myself, when I find myself discovering positions--maybe tentative, maybe permanent--that I hadn't acknowledged before. And it's doubly pleasurable to find those positions rendered in prose whose goodness is a token to me, I hope not false, of the rightness of what's been written. And, of course, it's a betrayal of the spirit to deny what's there on the page. Revise, of course; refuse, no.

Tue Oct 18, 04:21:00 PM EDT  
Blogger johngoldfine said...

Further thoughts: part of trusting the tale, not the teller, is understanding that the teller is not the tale. Sometimes they diverge. Sometimes they disagree. The art stands by itself, explains itself adequately or not, but even in nonfiction, no one imagines it is ever the whole truth.

It's pure jesuitry of me to have said in the previous comment that the quality of the prose might guarantee the quality of the perceptions--not likely! And there you have an illustration of my point. That's a bit of truth, but also a bit of a lie, and though the argument had its own momentum a half hour ago, right now I'm not so sure about it.

Tue Oct 18, 04:55:00 PM EDT  
Blogger millay said...

well, as long as you're certain....

Tue Oct 18, 05:20:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home